Thursday, 31 July 2014

50 Shades Of Green (50 Million That Is) - Part 1

I started writing a whole crapload of physics here about the nature of colour and how the colour of an object varies according to its light absorption properties and the colour of the ambient light. You don't want to have to know that stuff; I don't even want to have to know that stuff, except when I'm editing your wedding. The study of colour is a serious science, dabbled in somewhat to a minor degree by this photographer, and definitely not a topic I'm going into here.

Today's blog is about the colour green. Green is perhaps the most wonderful colour of all to the photographer because it is absolutely everywhere in an almost limitless spectrum of shades; nature's spectacular and free backdrop. Green is a low-arousal colour and lush green surroundings usually inspire relaxation and reflection, helping to shut down our overactive twenty-first century senses (source: pantone.com).
Miller stepping out with Grandad in his Mum's backyard, May 2013
I'm lucky I live in a part of Australia where, for a bit of looking, I can usually find something blooming up green. In fact I don't have to look far at all. When we bought our house in 2009 it was a wild jungle plonked into suburbia; you could not walk right around the house it was so overgrown with trees. We tamed it a little to let sunshine into the house but left a good surround of greenery for privacy and lifestyle.
Miller stepping out with Grandad in Grandad's front yard, August 2013
This has paid off for us in the enormous variety of bird life we have visiting us year round. In fact we have trees we should trim or remove but won't do it because they feed the birds. This beautiful rainbow lorikeet is a frequent flyer to our front yard.
Peeping from the golden pender tree, April 2013
One of my favourite patches of green is the backyard of my own family home. I've blogged from here before but the true magnificence of the place cannot be overstated, and has been 45 years in the making. My mother, a high-school English teacher, liked to sit on our back patio and just read or do school work in full view of the backyard. In her diaries she refers often to the fact that she is sitting 'out the back' again with a coffee, self-debriefing from a day at work or going through issues and problems on paper, as she was wont to do, to find the best solution.

No wonder mum and my stepfather decided to marry here, followed a few years later by Danny and I. Nature (and my parents) did the decorating for us.
Stan and Di, November 2005; Anna and Danny, March 2009
The yard was mum's sanctuary, and mine when I lived here too; when I want to find her again I go home and sit as she did on the patio and listen to the kookaburras, leatherheads (noisy friarbirds) and magpies tell her story. If you'd like to hear some bird songs from the backyard you can look here and here - scroll to bottom.
Stan and Di, October 2009
It has been a few lean years of drought for the country but here on the eastern coastline we still have mountain ranges and patches of rainforest where I can sneak away with a client, or just by myself, and weave some green magic into my work. Here are some of my favourite moments where I was able to let nature lay down a backdrop of green and do all the work for me.
St. Bernard's Hotel on Tamborine Mountain, June 2008
Lavender fields near Applethorpe in Queensland, January 2004
Suburban backyard in Maudsland, January 2014
Robina Woods Golf Course, Gold Coast, August 2006
Emerald Lakes, Gold Coast Australia, October 2008
Brisbane Botanic Gardens, January 2010
Nicholl Park, Murwillumbah, NSW, June 2010

No comments: