Sunday, 21 June 2015

I Took The One Less Travelled By

Well bloggers I haven't posted in a while with uni assignments, bank disputes and neighbour problems taking up more of my brain than I'd like. I now have no excuse - no uni until July so I have time on my hands to churn out a blog or three. I thought I'd also give you a break from the 'heavy going' style of blog entry I seemed to fall into over the last six months and write a couple of entries light on the words and just heavy on the pretty pictures. Because as we all know, a picture paints a thousand words anyway.

Pottsville Beach NSW, hand developed and printed assessment work, 2003
Pottsville Beach NSW, hand developed and printed assessment work, 2003
Honolulu Museum of Art, 2013
Right from when I got my first SLR camera, a Pentax MZ5 that was a gift from my brother in the late nineties, I have been obsessed with lines and pathways in my images. For me it is more than compositional, it is about finding something secret that is in plain sight.

My father's shed,
hand developed and printed assessment work, 2003
Diana on the beach, 2003
The Bali Door,
hand developed and printed assessment work, 2003
South Brisbane, 2010
When I was at uni in 2003 and desperately looking for a subject to give me a break from my business majors, I took an 'intro to photography' elective. I found it fascinating yet profoundly frustrating, taking us back as it did to the darkroom to do things in a day that could be done in a few seconds in Photoshop.

Grant On The Bridge, hand developed and printed assessment work, 2003
Tram tracks in San Francisco, 2012
Around the bend, 2012
Eli Creek on Fraser Island, commissioned work 2004
I indulged my pathway obsession in the assessments, using the last stanza of a famous poem by Robert Frost written in 1916 to help verbally illustrate a portfolio of images of people who had created a pathway in my life in one way or another to that point. What a lot of people don't know about this poem is that it is in fact only one verse from a larger work, and the poem bears consideration in its entirety. So here is Frost's whole poem, 'The Road Not Taken', illustrated with images from throughout my life and career of the many pathways I have been down.

South Brisbane, 2014
Somewhere in San Diego, 2001
Steps at Natural Arch, QLD, 2006
Chain of Craters Road, 2004

The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both

Somewhere outside of Julian in California, 2010
There's no place like home, 2009
Breakwater at Waikiki, 2004
Santa Monica Pier, California, 2004
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Commissioned work, 2011
The road to Mauna Kea, 2012
Commissioned work, 2008
Pottsville Beach on Christmas Day 2013
Then took the other, as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Somewhere in San Francisco, 2007
Commissioned work, 2010
Valley of Fire, Nevada, 2005
Pottsville Beach NSW, late 90's date unknown
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

Mauna Ulu lava shield, 2013, image by Danny
Pottsville Beach, image by Deb Amsler, 2009
Commissioned work, 2006
Mitchell On The Steps,
hand developed and printed assessment work, 2003
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Somewhere in the Anza Borrego Desert, 2012
The road out of Kalapana, 2013
My last day at uni 2004, with my housemate and dear friend Grant
Into the desert, 2005
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

Pottsville Beach, 2001
Approaching the desert, 2004
Lava fields on the road south out of Kona, 2013
Mum's pathway in our home, date unknown
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I —
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Danny, Simon and I in the Kalapana lava fields, 2013, image by David Ewing

No comments: